SaucyKod

Sunday, November 13, 2016

Supermoon Monday

The November "SUPERMOON" tomorrow evening will be the closest to Earth since 1948. It should be bright enough to read by moonlight, so I hear.
In astronomical terms, we're about to get up close and personal with our moon - SUPER CLOSE, one might say.
When a full moon reaches its closest point to our planet in its elliptical orbit, that is called a Supermoon, or "perigee" in scientific terms.....and, this month's Supermoon tomorrow evening is going to be the closest we've come to our orbiting neighbour in almost seven decades, and it won't happen again until 2034.
At perigee,the moon is about 14 percent closer than when it's at its farthest point from Earth, which will make it appear 14 percent bigger in the sky - hence, it'll also shine about 30 per cent more light onto us. Once it gets high in the sky, then its like a huge light that's been turned on - even somewhere dark, you won't need a flashlight to even read. I shall check this out for myself tomorrow evening. I am not sure exactly where I shall watch, but I know a spot out in Oak Bay that may work. Regardless, I am looking forward to catching some of this "bright light" in the dark of the night. Hope some of you get to enjoy it as well. Cheers,
SaucyKod


7 comments:

Gail said...

I am hoping to get some good pictures.

Have a blessed week.

Red said...

I just hope it's clear so that I can have a peak at the moon. When I was younger, LOL and eyes were better moons were always bright. Not o much anymore.

Jackie said...

The moon was stunningly beautiful tonight.....

biebkriebels said...

We hope to see him tonight, but the weather predictions are cloudy...

DJan said...

I woke this morning early wondering why someone outside was shining a light in my bedroom window. It was the moon! And our rain had stopped long enough for it to shine right through the clouds. It surely is bright and beautiful. :-)

Linda Wildenstein said...

The Cuckettes and I are going out to a different part of town to view the big beauty. Last night's preview moon was gorgeous so I am looking forward to catching a great view tonight, hope you do as well. xoxo Oma Linda

Little Red Hen said...

It's supposed to be clear here so I should get a good look at it. Even yesterday when it wasn't quite full, it was pretty bright.