SaucyKod

Sunday, May 31, 2015

Head Cone.....or.....Cone Head


Traffic cones, also called traffic pylons, road cones, highway cones, safety cones, witch's hat, or construction cones, are usually cone-shaped markers that are placed on roads or footpaths to temporarily redirect traffic in a safe manner. They are often used to create separation or merge lanes during road construction projects or automobile accidents.
Traffic cones were invented in 1940 by American Charles D. Scanlon, who got the idea for the traffic cone while working as a painter for the Street Painting Department of the City of Los Angeles. The patent for his invention was granted in 1943.
On the other hand, on a Spring Day  in Canada, we saw an olde fella walking on the side of a small country road, proudly wearing such a Cone as a safety measure.  We sure could see him a long way off with that cone moving back and forth. ha,ha
SaucyKod

10 comments:

DJan said...

I have never seen anybody wearing one of these. It certainly would make me giggle, as this picture did. He certainly would be visible for a long way, all right. :-)

Jackie said...

Photo of cone head made me smile.
Those cones on the interstate highways are
verrrry big,
and I've often wondered where and how
they store them
when they are not in use. I've heard those
referred to as "dinosaur eggs. "
��

Gail said...

That's a good idea.

We recently discovered a traffic cone in a secluded creek half buried. I guess it was from the tornado in '08.

Red said...

Kooks make some of the most interesting people!

biebkriebels said...

We have them here too on the roads, but I have never seen a walking one :)

Linda Wildenstein said...

I've seen donkeys playing with cones, kids using them at play but never an adult wearing one. So see you added to my list. Thanks.....I love new stuff in my noggin

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

I think wearing that cone, funny looking or not, was a darned good idea...you sure couldn't miss him wearing that. :)
Mercy, I know I owe you a letter or three..I'm so so slow lately. I struggle to posts done!
We have already hit 105 heat already. It's going to be a long hot and dry summer.
Mr. PH sends you a "Hi"...says he needs another mirror..can't find his. Says don't give up hope..he'll find it. LOL We seem to lose everything. Got a good story to tell you. I NEED to write..I'm way behind.

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

I just wrote a long comment and it's gone! Let me know if it came through. I keep getting error messages in my emails saying it didn't go through..so please let me know.

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

Oh...LOL..you have to look at it first... LOL Ah well..better three than none..

Sandra Johnson said...

I really like your blog. I really appreciate the good quality content you are posting here for free. I was looking for the best road cones supplier but was looking for all the characteristics. Thanks for sharing all the information with us.