SaucyKod

Thursday, November 13, 2014

Put The Baby Back.......

At 6 a.m. on the second Tuesday of November, the fishing communities of Campobello and Deer Island are among those that celebrate opening day of the fall lobster season and the importance of the fleet to their livelihoods. Families and friends show up at the docks to see the boats leave the harbours. There is a community-wide "blessing of the fleet" service the week before it starts.
 
A baby takes a first bite.......
Gently put back into the Bay
HOWEVER;
THERE ARE SOME BIG LOBSTERS OUT THERE, EH!
It's called "Setting Day" on Campobello and "Dumping Day" on Deer Island. The opening of the fall season is definitely the highlight of the year in the community. 
Islanders talk about their fishing family's love of the fall tradition as the season begins on a brisk November morning. There is great pride in the heritage of fishing and I for one do know and understand. When my Dad was fishin', there were many times we went out on the boat with him to help. We knew how important the short season was and I can remember him saying "a good catch means a good Christmas". I remember my Mum sitting at the kitchen table as Dad emptied his pockets filled with money having sold his catch.  Mum counted, separated and stacked all "fishing" money, which went straight to the bank. I remember Mum giving my Dad $10 dollars and we all got a dollar to spend for Christmas.....and that was a lot of money way back then.
 
  
 
 - FEATHERED FOLLOWERS GET A TREAT :)
 
Good Fishin' In The Maritimes.....
SaucyKod

12 comments:

Linda Kay said...

Some of those lobsters are huge! Thanks for the story.

DJan said...

I hope it's a good season and a good Christmas this year, eh! Loved the story of how you honor the tradition. You're all right, Saucy! :-)

Countryside Tales said...

WOW! Those lobsters are HUGE. Fantast6ic pics- love the one of all the gulls behind the boat. Great post :o)

Karen Jones Gowen said...

WOW! Amazing photos of lobsters of all sizes. I had no idea they came to huge!! What a wonderful post this is, illustrating how the community unites to celebrate this day. In Utah, the opening of deer season is a big day-- colleges get the day off and other businesses are often closed.

Red said...

We never see those babies out here. They must be exported. Us prairie guys aren't that big seafood fans anyway. No offense. The fishing way of life is very different and hard. Great photos.

biebkriebels said...

So nice to read about something I don't know anything about. Fish, lobsters, I see them only in a store. I know of course where they come from but to read about the rituals is very interesting.

Friko said...

Golly, they are whoppers!
They feed a family, do they?

Petra Pavl√°tkov√° said...

It's very interesting, Lilly, great story. Some of the lobsters are really big, I wouldn't have imagined that!

I love the header image with the boats in the fog, it's a great one.

Gail said...

What an amazing custom.

Those are some bigggg lobsters.

First Monday of deer season is a school holiday. So many children and teachers missed school that day for years so they just made it a holiday.

Jackie said...

Wow! Those are some biiiiig lobsters! I've never seen lobsters (except in the tank at our local Red Lobster restaurant)....and I would love to be able to experience the joy of lobster fishing!
My apologies for my absence from blogging, my friend. I do hope that you and yours are having a blessed and happy week.
It's been a bit "cool" down here in South Georgia, USA. We don't get snow here (hardly ever...and when we do, it's a "let's turn school out and send the kiddos home so they can play" kind of day....and it only happens every 20 years or so. But....it was cold here on Tuesday night. It got down to 22 degrees. That's newsworthy for this portion of the country!
I love the photos of the lobsters...those that catch them....and the beautiful surroundings. Those seagulls look happy, happy, happy!
Hugs to you, my friend,
Jackie

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

If I had a choice I would eat nothing but lobster. It is my favorite food in the world. My dream is to have all I can eat. :) I'd probably make myself sick. Sea food is my favorite with lobster at the top of the list.
Stay warm, Lilly!

Willow said...

Great share .Some of those lobsters were giants ...my mouth is watering !