SaucyKod

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

The Season Of Fog.........

Living in the fog belt of Maritime Canada gives many opportunities to photograph "Fog" in all its glory.
To have access to the Bay of Fundy coastline, the ocean, the rivers, lakes, streams, wildlife, highways and towns surrounded in fog is a moving experience. Now, most people think of seasons as Summer, Fall, Winter and Spring. Living on the Eastern Coast of Canada gives us a fifth season - that being The Season Of Fog; which can interrupt all other four Seasons.
Having the ability to capture "Fog" is a season I love. There is nothing quite as unique as capturing nature/life in its rawest beauty. To be along the Bay during early morning fog is a truly unique experience. Fog gives you the true Maritime experience of photographing a totally different type of image.
Many folks do not find fog as welcoming as I do. I love how fog changes landscape; giving it a lure of mystery. I love how it changes the forest and makes it dark and frightening, almost hypnotizing to a degree. I love how it changes the smallest to largest of animals and makes for an awesome experience "of the sheer magnitude of prickly skin terror".  
 All you can really see in thick fog are shadows and usually the noise that accompanies them - makes for a great backdrop to adding suspense and mystery to many stories told on a back porch on a foggy night.
There's dry and wet fog, early morning fog, valley fog, fog that evaporates before 10a.m.. There's fog that clings to the tops of hills and trees.....and if only you could reach a bit higher, you might come in contact with it. There's fog that clings to your clothing and at the same time takes your breath away. On the Bay in winter, you may experience "freezing fog" - it will settle layer by layer on your vessel and you'll hear the sound of axes chopping ice off the boat which could mean the difference of arriving at port safely or sinking.
I have found valley fog to be one of my favourites. There are many hills and valleys in New Brunswick. An early morning valley fog lies between the hills. You can capture the beauty of fog moving and eventually evaporating into the day, or watch it come and go with the ever changing Bay Of Fundy Tides. Fog to me is also a welcome treat to cool off the heat of the day.
I have a light wet suit; I have a style of zip-lock photo bag, which works great on stormy outings. Weather does not leave me behind - I would be like those that are referred to as storm chasers, with the exception that I would be chasing various stages of fog.....or weather that is different from our regular sunny days and charming sunsets.
The reward is simple - for one to have captured a momentous frame in fog; weather of a different nature - perhaps an outstanding difference with something unique - for one foggy morning, the photographer stood outside the "other seasons box".
We have a saying here in the Maritimes; "If you don't like the weather, wait five minutes" - Ooh, wait a moment - in Newfoundland that would amount to 35 minutes :) Lobster anyone?
SaucyKod

7 comments:

Countryside Tales said...

I know what you mean about weather not leaving you behind. I'm not a fan of fog that lasts too long. I find it makes me feel uneasy, but when sunlight pieces it, or when it hangs in ribbons across river valleys and tree tops poke out the top of it, then I think it is spectacular stuff. Love that last shot in particular, and your description of fog layering boats in ice is brilliant :-)

DJan said...

I am also a fan of that other season, Saucy. Some of my very favorite pictures have fog in them. Your captures are wonderful! I sure enjoyed this post. :-)

Linda Kay Christensen said...

Stunning photos! The one with the ship is awesome, and I'm intrigued by the weather. However, I have driven in fog in the midwest (Missouri and Illinois) and it is very frightening. I like the idea of just walking and taking pictures like you. I'll make sure my photographer husband sees these!

Jackie said...

Absolutely stunning photographs!!
I agree with you completely about the fog and its effect on the subject matter. You have a keen eye...and a talent with that camera.
I LOVE LOVE the photo of the boat at the end of the dock (ninth photo)....just superb.
Thank you for sharing the beauty of your country enveloped in this lovely fog. Gorgeous!!!

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

You said the magic word. Lobster. My dream is to sit down and eat as much lobster as I want. Nothing else..just some butter and lobster.
Fog. Well, as you know, many a horror film is done around fog. Even some have FOG in their title.
Lilly..you find beauty in everything and that is what we all love about you. Your photo's are just great.

By the way. Our Maine man gulped down those rolls like they were his last meal! Of course they were right out of the oven.
I have one of those big mixers so it was easy to just put all the ingredients in..then dump it into a big greased bowl, cover and store in the fridge. Things to do with cooking have to be easy any more. I don't want to fuss or try and find unusual ingredients. :) Yep..slowing down a bit.
Thanks for always leaving me such great comments, Lilly! We love reading them!
Love,
Mona

Friko said...

Yes, fog is rather special, I love it too. It quietens everything down and the whle world slows.

There is one kind of fog in My part of Germany which you may not have experienced: the kind that rises from the ground, slowly and in white layers. You could be walking through it and seeing the sun above your head.

Looking at it is magical.

Gail said...

I love fog. It makes things seem more mysterious...too many scary shows and books.

I count the fogs in August to predict the number of snows in winter. Last two years we've lined up perfect.