SaucyKod

Sunday, May 25, 2014

To A Seagull.....

                                                                    Photo by SaucyKod

Mine but to gaze, while thou art free to fly
Far out beyond the limit of my sight,
A triple kingdom, earth and sea and sky
Is thine to compass in unfettered flight.

On sun-kissed crag like sentinel to stand,
No vantage point beyond thy questing reach,
Soaring, to swoop and flit along the strand
Or fish the pools upon the rock strewn beach.

Herald of Storm! Skimming the crested wave,
Thine is the freedom of the boundless sea,
What mighty seaman, calm in ocean grave,
Has passed his dauntless spirit on to thee,
To bear, in storm or sunshine, witness clear
Of that glad freedom England holds so dear?

M. M. Bridgen,
                           August 1935

I had just read this poem in a "Book of Old Poetry", that I found at the Library Book Sale and was not able to find anything out about the Author - still searching........
SaucyKod

7 comments:

Gail said...

What a beautiful poem!

DJan said...

Nice! Thanks for sharing. :-)

Red said...

Well, I can tell you one thing. He as a rather spiritual guy.

Francesca Edesia said...

Very pretty! Reminds me of the movie Jonathan Livingston Seagull, I didn't see the movie but it was so popular when it came out. We have lots of seagulls on the shores of Trapani, they are so cute!

biebkriebels said...

Applicable to the seagull and now a poem of yourself!

Friko said...

Not a poet I know of, probably a very minor one. Still, this poem is just the sort of thing you want when you feel nostalgic.

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

You did something I love to do. Read old poetry. My grandmother left me two book of poetry that were hers from her teaching days in the 1800's. I treasure those books and they are on my coffee table. We lived with them awhile and I used to pass the time memorizing my favorites. I love to sit and read them..and lately have wondered if after I am gone if any of my grandchildren or greats, will treasure them..or will someone who only sees their tattered exterior, toss them into the trash.
Your poem was wonderful. Thank you for sharing it. One wonders about the soul that wrote it. Let us know if you find anything on him.
Love,
Mona