SaucyKod

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Ice Jam.........

Some of you might remember a while back when I was talking about the ice that breaks up - - way up the river and eventually makes its way downriver; through all the smaller towns and villages along the way. Lets not forget the bridges - ice jams at the bridge can take the bridge - we are always building or repairing bridges here it seems.  There is such a great abundance of ice in the spring, from the break-up, that there can be ice jams along several of New Brunswick's River Systems.
The various dams scattered throughout New Brunswick, have to open the gates and drain some of the excessive amounts of water and ice - a heavy rain just before or during this time of release will make a difference in ice jams and flooding.
You can never take your eyes off the spring flow of ice in the river. Ice automatically brings up the water levels - flooding occurs - its just a way of life. There are still ice jams up in the northern part of the province. There are still ice jams on the Saint John River - these can always cause problems with severe flooding and lots of ice in your back yard - one can never say the worst is over just yet, for there is still a long way to go with a lot of melt and ice movement still to come over the next few weeks.
Rain in the forecast over this time period certainly poses a concern Province wide. So far, this spring, we haven't had a lot of rain even though the watersheds announce a "high" level - due to the ice melt.
New Brunswicker's have bug-out bags ready this time of year just in case of temporary evacuation or relocation due to flooding. It's just part of life here and in the meantime, the village of Perth Andover in Western New Brunswick spent a nervous weekend, as a "35" kilometer long ice flow approached from up river. (Approx 21 miles) - It broke up just in time, and did not affect the approx 49 homes along the ice jam route.
The river is closely monitored this time of year, everyone is ready and you can never say its over until its OVER.
SaucyKod

10 comments:

DJan said...

Wow! That is a LOT of ice that needs to move along. I would be both fascinated and terrified if I had to look at that near my home. Thanks for the icy trip, for me to see from a distance. :-)

Gail said...

Amazing and scary at the same time.

Love the photos. I have never seen this much ice!

Countryside Tales said...

This is fascinating reading as we just don't get anything like it here in the UK. Incredible pictures too. Thanks for posting these. I hope you will be OK until after ice season...

Red said...

It's interesting to see why you get ice jams. You have narrow river banks of rock. there's no place for the stuff to go. Here, In a couple of hours all the ice is up on the bank.

Friko said...

I don’t terribly envy you the beauties of winter. Our little stream floods but it’s all over again in a few days.

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

Yikes, Lilly! I hope you are not close to all of this! Are you?
I know you walk about..so be careful if you are. PH left his mirror at home but not his sense of humor. He is shy and quiet but the one of the sweetest men I have ever knows.
I always read him your comments about him..and he always grins from ear to ear. Asks if I've heard from you if I don't mention you for awhile. Not blogging much lately...several health challenges so mostly I've been laying down. I will be back to normal soon I hope. I had a setback with my foot yesterday so limped about all day today. :) HATE it!
Stay warm.
Love,
Mona

Francesca Edesia said...

This is incredible, I can't imagine this much ice, we never get any at all here. When I lived in New York I used to slip on ice on the way to school. The pictures are Amazing, I would expect this to be the North Pole or something like that, not anywhere near you. Amazing!

Linda Wildenstein said...

Wow I have never seen anything like this. But then where would I in the desert all my life???? Fascinating.

biebkriebels said...

What a mess Lily. That must take some time to get rid of all that ice!

genie said...

Geeze Lily...this is more frightening than some of our pictures of the past. This is REALLY scary. Now to the Bug Out Bags. Please explain how they work. This is all very new to me. The fear of that ice backing up and then breaking through is more than I can bear to think about. You be careful on your walks. Remember, I am still trying to get up there...sooner than later is my hope. genie