SaucyKod

Monday, August 5, 2013

5 Miles Later.....


Yesterday was full of surprises for me. I put on my hiking boots, for I knew I would cover a fair amount of ground - n nice to have the comfort and support of a good boot, to go aboot, Eh.
I started with a soapbox race up the top of Hawthorne and Union Streets. I was most amazed with each and every design of the vehicles. These kids had wonderful ideas and these cars could really "fly". I think the fastest once clocked at 32km. That's pretty fast to be flying down a steep hill on four little wheels and a lotta grit. A few spins, broken wheels and no spills made for that extra touch of excitement from both the drivers and the crowd that lined the hill. I was quite astonished at the number of onlookers. I am already looking forward to the next race to grace our festival holiday -  :)
I continue on my walk and "for goodness sake", I just arrive at St. Stephen border crossing and see brightly coloured GREEN shirts on bicycles. Many boy scouts had just bicycled 30 miles from Chelmsford, MA, USA to cross the border into Canada - a most friendly and informative group of young men to speak with. Their adventure was to cycle here to Canada and return home. Their journey - Quoddy Loop 2013 - Biking High Adventure - Scout Troop 74, Chelmsford, MA. USA. It was a pleasure to meet and talk with each of you - you were my first unexpected pleasure of the day - Safe Journey Home. I hope you will send me some photos of your journey - they will appear here, Eh.
I continue my walk to the waterfront, which many of you have seen in past posts. I decide to collect enough small stones to create - WHAT - another mini-Inukshuk! As I was admiring some of the great stones I had found, I heard a voice ask what I was collecting? I glanced in the direction of the voice and saw four people taking photos at boat landing. I walked over to explain. I introduced myself and began to explain the story of the Inukshuk - they were quite thrilled and asked many questions and yes, I did give them this tiny Inukshuk collected from our shoreline. I learned many wonderful things about their country of origin - India and their (now) home in Toronto. They were heading to Sydney, Nova Scotia and asked what they should see- well now, I was born in Sydney, so was delighted to have Medea write down in her journal some great places to visit. I also learned that Lilly was also their departed Mother's name, and my new friends felt that the Mother had somehow guided them to me :)
 What a lovely family you are - sorry Medea, you are looking down in this photo, but it's the only one I had - perhaps you can send me the photos you took and I shall also add them here.
By the time I had walked home from here, I had covered almost 5 miles and met NEW people.
What an adventuresome mid-morning walk, Eh. :)
SaucyKod 



8 comments:

DJan said...

What fun! A great walk aboot, to boot. Eh! :-)

Red said...

One has to be an extrovert to enjoy the stuff you did. Me? I'd just walk and skirt around the people.

Gail said...

You have such amazing adventures.

Francesca Edesia said...

You are so adventurous Saucy, 5 MILES! That is incredible. You always find the most interesting events. Send us some clams...we love spaghetti alle vongole:)

Friko said...

5 miles MID-morning, including stops for nice chats and photos?
How long is your morning?

Jackie said...

You meet the nicest people!...But then, I think it's probably because you are nice 'people' yourself!
Thank you for your visit to my blog. So nice to meet you. I have visited yours and read many of your posts. What a wonderful writer (and poet you are!)...and a great photographer.
So nice to meet you!
Jackie

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

Walking is always an adventure. Howard hasn't been walking lately..he goes to the gym instead. My right hip is a problem for me..but I need to get out and walk a bit when it gets cooler. I LOVE meeting new people. We do a lot of that at garage sales..I think that is why I love blogging..meeting new and wonderful folks like yourself!
Have a wonderful weekend, my friend!
Love,
Mona

Caramella said...

What an adventure!You must be such an outgoing and bubbly person! Thank you for your kind comments as always dear Saucy! And happy clam digging :))