SaucyKod

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Cannons in St. Andrews, New Brunswick, Canada



This blockhouse and gun battery, dating from the war of 1812, is one of three that were built to protect the community of  St. Andrews. The blockhouses were built at the expense of local citizens, chiefly Robert Pagan and Christopher Scott and has been named a National Historic Site.
The tops of the barrels of the 24 pound cannons overlooking the harbour have the monogram of King George. The British cannons manufactured between 1760 and 1820 carry his emblem. On the left trunnions (the protrusions from the side of the barrel that rest on the carriage) are found the initials "WC" which indicates that these cannons were made in the Waller Cannon factory in Rotherham, England.
Monogram of King George

St. Andrews Market Square Cannons
Local citizens also refurbished Fort Tipperary 
at the same time - at their own expense.
The Fort was built on a hillside at the back of the community, with a full view of the settlement and the approach of vessels by sea.
In 1903, a summer home was built on the site for Lord Thomas Shaughnessy, President of the Canadian Pacific Railway Company. The barrack bldg, officer's quarters, guard house and sergeant's cottage were removed from the site.
In 1985, Margot Mais, granddaughter of Lord Shaughnessy, sold the home to the Algonquin Properties.
In April of 2004, it was destroyed by fire and slated for demolition, however;  was rebuilt as close to its original form as possible.
Algonquin Properties Limited was at that time considering the eventual sale of the property. 



14 comments:

Milex said...

I am definitely loving it

Fun60 said...

An interesting history. Those cannons look in such good condition considering their age.

biebkriebels said...

Interesting story, amazing that the house was rebuilt anyway. Always better then demolition.

Red said...

Your history goes much farther back than ours. Your wars were fought by organized armies whereas ours was rebellion and Indian wars. We also make tourist sites of our battle grounds.

Genie Robinson said...

What a cool post. We saw munitions like these around Seattle. Sorry I have not been in touch. Anemia and blood pressure issues have downed me for now 4 weeks. I resigned from work day before yesterday on doctor's orders. Boy, did I hate to throw in the rag. 54 years now in the past .Am on my way to see Eloise in a play and will write you from Richmond. When you do not hear from me, there is almost always something our of whack. Am OK....love you...genie

Jan said...

We're Kindred Spirits! After visiting my blog (fleaChic.com) I found your beautiful site and Jack. Hubby and I are parents to Cairns - Archie and Boswell. Archie is a wheaten and Boswell is a brindle. Precious George has gone to the Rainbow Bridge, patiently waiting for us no matter how long it takes. I'm so glad we "blog met"! -- Jan

Petra said...

I love the photo with the lamps and the embossed monogram, it's a beautiful detail!

Red Nomad OZ said...

Well, there's a first - I never knew what a trunnion was until now!! I read somewhere that the definition of a generation was the time between getting rid of a piece of heritage and building a life-like replica!

Sorry you had troubles with my previous post ... I blame blogger, but am now taking extra care in checking what it tells me!

monicaharmony said...

Great pictures, !

Monica Harmony's Blog

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

Lilly, I am trying hard to blog again and to visit..and I know I owe you a long letter. I get a post done, try to visit those who have stopped by and then finally just turn of the computer and walk away feeling like a fraud! I WILL write. I have lots to share with you. As you can see by the hour, it's another long and sleepless night.
I must go back and read your post again and try to absorb what I read...it's like that a lot now.
BIG hugs to you...and to Jack of course! :)
Mona

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

To show you how little I know History...who was a threat to Canada back then? Heavens! Has any country ever had total peace of mind from attack??

Gail said...

I love when they preserve history. Much has been destroyed in the name of progress.

Jana said...

you managed to find beautiful details on these scary weapons, well done:-))

Genie Robinson said...

You always add such interesting stories to your posts. That's one reason we all love them so. BIG guns! BIG job to do! On this new diet the doctor's have me on, I need to buy some of your dulce. Guess I will have to order it online. It is supposed to be good for my anemia. genie