SaucyKod

Friday, March 15, 2013

Saint John City Market, Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada



The Saint John City Market is the oldest continuing farmer's market in Canada, with a charter dating from 1785. The current market building has a unique roof structure that resembles an inverted ship's keel. Made of wooden trusses, and built by ship carpenters of the day.
The floor slopes with the natural grade of the land and the architecture is in the second empire style. The Saint John City Market takes up a city block and actually slopes with the hill it rests on.

The Market was designated a National Historic Site in 1986.
Some of the businesses in the market have been operating continuously for more than 100 years. "Slocum & Ferris" was established in 1895 and has been selling sea products, including their famous Grand Manan Dulse to locals and visitors alike ever since. This is where I always buy my very fresh dulse when I cannot pick my own.
( Past Post on Dulse 1/8/13 ) 
Pete Luckett, an entrepreneur and media personality, known as a culinary fruit and vegetable expert immigrated to Canada from England in 1979 and "Pete's Frootique" got its start in the Market in 1981. "Pete" is very well known in Eastern Canada for his wonderful array of local and exotic fruit,
as well as his wit, manner, his culinary expertise 
and his well-known catchphrase "Toodlee-doo."
 
As well, alongside the traditional fishmongers, farmers, butchers and craftspeople - there are delicacies from different corners
of the world.
I remember as a young kid, along with my brothers taking fish, rabbits & berries to sell to the vendors at the market. My brothers and I used to fish SHAD off the high dangerous rocks just under the "World Famous Reversing Falls"* and let me tell you - the fish were big.
 
My Dad and my brother Donnie "back in the day".
My brothers always let me tag along with them when they went fishing and "I" got to carry all the fishing rods! We would let the tourists pose for photos with our rods and "catch of the day" - we could make 50 cents or up to a $1.00 for each photo. I usually took all the photos and learned how to use just about any camera a tourist passed my way - probably where I started an early interest in taking photos.
As the tide goes out into the Bay of Fundy, the basin drops almost 30 feet, with treacherous rapids and whirlpools.
Best Shad Fishing In The World, when I was a kid :)
There's nothing like a thrilling "Jet Boat Ride" thru the falls!

The Market has always been and continues to be a central meeting point for "Saint Johners". Whether you are dining in the market, sampling or purchasing the wares, or picking up everything you require for a delicious meal at home - you can find it all in the Saint John City Market.


 

8 comments:

Genie Robinson said...

This is dreamy....I wanna go to the market. Am like a kid in a candy store looking at the pictures and reading about them. Posted my Jack for Weekend in Black and White...t'is a shame the two Jacks cannot meet one another. That would be a hoot and a half. Hope it warming up a bit for you all. We have rain coming again this weekend. Hugs....genie

DJan said...

Very interesting! You had such a responsibility, taking pictures and carrying the rods. Thanks for the great story! :-)

Red said...

What an awesome market and I don't even like markets. I wish we had one that was indoor. the roof and tresses are cool as you say like an inverted keel.

biebkriebels said...

It is a great place to wander around. I love markets and this one looks very nice. Thanks for sharing.

Caramella said...

Thank you for the virtual tour, I would love to visit the market. It looks huge! By the way, I love your little doggie in his tuxedo, so cute!!! Have a nice Sunday, and Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Francesca Edesia said...

When I was in high school I read all the Sherlock Holmes stories, I had the whole collection, I just loved them. I didn't know there was a series on him.

Friko said...

Your English stallholder is a rarity. No market in England is ever colourful, clean, exciting, versatile. Most markets in England are duff and the wares pretty poor, with only the best produce at the front and the stale stuff, which they serve you, at the back. And they will not let you pick your own.

European markets are much more like your wonderful market you describe here.

I had to look up ‘dulse’ again.

Petra said...

It must be a wonderful tour to see all those fruit and vegetable varieties. I also like the history of the market.

And I love the black and white photo where the water seems full of life! :)