SaucyKod

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Farming In New Brunswick, Eh...


We are surrounded by the Bay of Fundy, however - INLAND - have many beautiful farms.
These are some of the Farms near Sussex, New Brunswick.
Sussex has been referred to as  "Dairy Town", or to some folks as "Cow Town", and has a population of approx 4300 souls. Sussex is a major producer of dairy products in the province, and advertise themselves as "The Dairy Capital of New Brunswick".
Sussex has Atlantic Canada's largest Hot Air Balloon Festival, held weekend after Labour Day weekend. Sussex hosts up to 35,000 visitors who come to watch 40+ hot air balloons twice daily in flight. There is something for everyone at the festival, including a giant craft fair, outdoor concerts, amusement park, etc.
Sussex is also known as the "Covered Bridge Capital" of Atlantic Canada - Home To Sixteen Covered Bridges and Eight of them are within 10 minute drive of Town Hall.
Wall Mural on Heritage Building
Sussex is very picturesque and it's many heritage buildings are home to quaint shops and restaurants. Even in this modern age, downtown Sussex has remained one of the healthiest, most vibrant downtowns, with more than 140 shops and services, Museum and Art Gallery.
Sussex is also known as the Mural Capitol of New Brunswick, with approx 26 buildings painted, depicting early life in the area.

A couple of teens from Sussex "Dairy Town" are the newest YOUTube phenomenon. 
They did a parody of LMFAO's I'm Sexy and I know It - as a school project - that has gone viral.  
(I'm from Sussex and I know it) Nice Job Kids :)
 

8 comments:

KarenG said...

Interesting info about your area, and I love the photos! It looks like a beautiful farming community.

DJan said...

Some of those last ones are murals, and others are pictures. I couldn't tell the difference! What a nice place to live, eh? :-)

Red said...

that's a super advertisement for Sussex. Some of these small places really know how to do it up and have fun so that others will want to come and join in.

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

It's such a feeling reading your posts and hearing names of places that I heard about and had to learn about back in 6th to 8th grade. I never would have believed that I would be writing to someone in that part of the world or even marry someone from so far from my home town.
The beauty of where you live ...and where Howard is from is something I never thought I would get to see.
I loved the paintings. The Bay of Fundy. I read that and my mind flashed back to Geography tests when I was in grade school :)
Just one surprise after another..

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Reading this about Sussex made me think of Lancaster, PA which is also a very large dairy and farming area. Seeing the farms was like driving along the back roads there. I learned a lot from reading the post, thanks for the great info about this area and maybe one day we will visit.

Weekend-Windup said...

Amazing, thanks for sharing :)

I love to visit Dairy farms.

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

Cute video! I finally got to watch it all the way through. Some pretty darn good dancing!! Cute kids! :)

Red Nomad OZ said...

Hahahaha! This is SO great!! I think we live in parallel universes - OZ country towns are going a little mural crazy AND I recently visited Derby, Western Australia - with the highest tides in the Southern Hemisphere (even though your Bay of Fundy still wins overall).

I'm catching up on some LOOOOONG overdue reading - thanx so much for visiting my blog and your always welcome comments!!