SaucyKod

Saturday, April 28, 2012

The "Bricklin" SV-1


The car was a creation by Malcolm Bricklin,
who had previously founded SUBURU of America

The Bricklin SV-1 was a GULL-WINGED SPORTS CAR, assembled in Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada. The main plant was in Saint John and another plant in Minto, New Brunswick where the body panels were manufactured.
The SV-1 was manufactured from 1974 until early 1976 for the U.S. market. The Bricklin Factory was not able to produce vehicles fast enough to make a profit and as a result, only 2854 cars were built before the company went into receivership. I remember many families that received "pink slips" upon the close of both plants.






The model name (SV-1), stood for "SAFETY VEHICLE ONE". 
The original idea for the Bricklin SV-1 was a safe and economical sports car, however; due to the weight of the safety features, the car was inefficient and simply a safe sports car.
The Bricklin was designed for safety with an integrated "Roll Cage, 5 MPH Bumpers and side beams. The body was fibreglass with bonded acrylic in five "SAFETY" colours - Green, Orange, White, Red and Suntan.
The cars had no cigarette lighter or ashtray, for as a non-smoker, Bricklin believed it was unsafe to smoke and drive.
The Bricklin was the only production vehicle in automotive history to have powered gull-wing doors, that opened and closed at the touch of a button. (The later DeLorean DMC-12's Gull-Winged doors were operated manually.)
The first Bricklin Concept Car, later dubbed "Grey Ghost", was built by Bruce Meyers of Meyers Manz Dune Buggy fame in California. 
BRUCE MEYERS WITH HIS FAMED "DUNE BUGGY'

9 comments:

DJan said...

Well, it's kind of cute, but I don't think it's right for me. Are you gonna buy one? :-)

Anonymous said...

I remember the Bricklin. Seemed like a cool car at the time. RON

Red said...

Just heard a piece with Michael Enright on CBC last Sun in the Bricklin. We were pretty interested in the Bricklin when it was developed. I wonder how many things wee borrowed from the Bricklin and put in other cars.

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

When you look at the car, you wouldn't think "safty" at all. Until I read this, I don't really recall ever hearing of a Bricklin SV-1. But, I probably just don't move in circles that are up on sports cars. The Dune buggy. Yes. I lived near the beach..and my sister and her husband were very into the Dune Buggys..as was my brother.
Every weekend found them out riding them.

I had to laugh at your comment on my post. :) I am a very ignorant gardner, know what I want, but not how to get it so I just fly by the seat of my pants. It costs to have a yard like the one in the pictures. Plants cost and it takes time, imagination and money. Also a skilled gardner unless you are one yourself, which does not come cheap.
Nope...I've a very long way to go.
I ...um..deleted a good portion of my photo. I got embarrassed!! :) WHAT was I thinking.
I do love to see photo's of the folks we blog with as it makes them seem more real to me...but I get sort of hung up about posting them. The side bar, not so much..but..even then..I tend to cringe!
Thanks so much for commenting. You ALWAYS make me smile.
Mona

Anonymous said...

What a nice car. I actually tried to buy one in 1975 but could not get it. Supply just not there.

Kenny

kt said...

Even if I won the lottery so I could buy one, I would probably loose the freaking ticket!

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

Do you have an email that we can use to respond to? I hate to choke your comment section with answers to your comments on my posts..but there seems to be no other way to contact you..
Usually there is an email under your photo. Perhaps you didn't want on..but it's nice to have.

I hope you check back and find this message here on your post.

I'm pleased that you liked my tray. All that SILVERWARE is just silverplate that I found at different garage sales. I am fascinated by the many different patterns..

Nezzy said...

Oh, I want one! I think I'd look super cool in the drivers seat!

I really do! :o)

Have a bountifully blessed day!!! :o)

Red Nomad OZ said...

Oh, I'd HAVE to have one in 'Suntan'!! Why are all the other colours so ordinary sounding?!?!