SaucyKod

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Tree Burrs.................


 Tree Burr, Bur or Burl

 A burl (American English) or bur or burr (British English) is a tree growth in which the grain has grown in a deformed manner. It is commonly found in the form of a rounded outgrowth on a tree trunk or branch, or in roots when tree dies) that is filled with small or large knots from dormant buds. A burl results from a tree undergoing some form of stress. It may be environmental or introduced by humans or insects.



Burls yield a very peculiar and highly figured wood, one prized for its beauty by many; its rarity also adds to its expense and is sought after by furniture makers, artists and wood sculptors..



….. and here in the Maritimes, we call 'em “TREE BURRS”.


4 comments:

DJan said...

I thought a "burr" and a "burl" were two different things. I see those (what I thought were fungi) growing everywhere here in the Pacific Northwest.

Anyway, you took really good pictures of those burls. Or tree burrs, or whatever! :-)

ChaM_My said...

Amazing tree formations. Which was was your most favorite of all? I like the mushroom shapes.

My Last Post: Holiday Travel Deals

ChaM_My said...

Hi Lilly,

Thanks for visiting my blog. I really appreciate it. I enjoyed your pictures and posts here. I hope you'd keep in touch. Enjoy the rest of the day!

-Chammy

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

California has a lot of burls also..and at one time there were many clocks made from them. They are really beautiful when polished to a high shine. Northern California where the giant redwoods grow are where you so many!
Thank you SO much for stopping by. All you need for a book is some pretty paper and rings as large as you like. Pretty envelopes or even the ones that are made of a brown paper sack, work so well in these books. Envelopes for receipts..or little thank you cards you will use or are sent to you.. just stuff that is usually loose in a drawer or someplace inconvient to reach.
They just get thicker and thicker..and it doesn't matter. Smash it down and keep going! :)
So glad you stopped by. Please do come back and visit when you can.
Mona